Monday, March 26, 2012

top ten secrets to a happy marriage

Installment #2.

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

If you've read it, I probably don't need to say anything else.

And if you get squeamish at the thought of reading rather explicit material, well, I might urge you to reconsider.

Okay, maybe it's not for everyone. (And I'm talking about the genre as a whole here, not just this book.) But I really think that you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who secretly doesn't get a little rush out of it. Not everyone will want to admit it or talk about it - or blog about it - but you know you are at least a little curious.

And if you tell me you aren't, I'll tell you I think there might a little wall somewhere that may need tearing down. That, or we just haven't found the right book for you yet. This one does touch on some rather, uh, taboo subject matter. But either way, if a little steamy literature doesn't get your engine revved, I'd like to know what does.

I heard about this while watching the Today Show a couple of weeks ago (frankly, I'm surprised I didn't hear about it earlier) - and have included a link to their piece below. It might make you feel a little less uncomfortable about wanting to read it. Take a look:

Triple-X trilogy of novels has women talking (quietly)

It includes an interview with a blonde therapist and Dr. Drew Pinsky. One, I love the therapist's view on this. Don't feel weird for wanting to read it - embrace it. And it doesn't in any way promote violence toward women. Seriously. Two, I love that Dr. Drew actually kind of gets outdone. Larry and I have been Dr. Drew fans since listening to him on Loveline and KROQ years ago when we lived in L.A. - but he's outmanned - or out womanned, as the case may be - here, and I love that the gal totally shows him up.

But I digress. The point is - as we women get older, our bodies and hormones start to change, early or pre-menopause becomes a reality, we are completely overcome by the demands of our families and in some cases careers, and often our libidos begin to lag. Sometimes our engines need a little jump start, if you know what I mean. Reading this doesn't mean we want to necessarily go insane in the bedroom. It doesn't mean we want to be bent over our men's laps and spanked, or that we have any intention of running out to Fascinations to buy a whip. I certainly don't. But come on, it's fantasy - and some of this stuff is really hot.

Catching a little steamy lit on the side can help power that engine with the time is right. That I can attest to. Hence - another happy marriage tip. Find your Fifty Shades and tuck it in the nightstand for emergencies. Almost nothing keeps your man happier than, well, that.

And on a final note...
This book certainly isn't great literature, and the writing is very simple. Take it for what it is. And now that I'm halfway through book #2, I find that I'm done with the hot interludes every four pages (I'm sorry, nobody does it that often), as now I've invested enough time into these characters that I just want to know what happens next. But I just might be looking for something new now...

No comments: